Thursday, November 12, 2009

Bikram’s Yoga



I've never taken Yoga, not because I didn't want to, I just didn't feel like paying for it. Well I have a couple of free passes to go for Yoga classes this month and I decided to give it a try. Went to the Bikram Yoga center in USJ. Now I've read about Bikram Yoga and it's suppose to be in a hot room and they weren't kidding. So we got down to business and started easy stretches, oh yea if you didn't know, there are about 26 yoga positions to complete in the 1 1/2 hour session. Each position will be repeated 3 times or more and with more intensity. Controlling your breathing is very important but being in this hot room which after 15-20 minutes feels like a hot sauna, breathing isn't easy. There were a couple of positions I couldn't complete because I was feeling light headed or I just couldn't stretch all the way, although you are encouraged to go as far are you can to get to the final position. Some of the positions really get your heart racing. After 1 1/2 hours of this, I was soaked in my own sweat and the following day I felt sore.

I never knew Yoga could be such an extreme workout! Kudos to those who do it every week :D

Here are the name for the 26 positions :
1. Pranayama Breathing
2. Ardha Chandrasana - Half Moon Pose
3. Utkatasana - Awkward Pose
4. Garurasana - Eagle Pose
5. Dandayamana Janushirasana - Standing Head to Knee
6. Dandayamana Dhanurasana - Standing Bow Pulling Pose
7. Tuladandasana - Balancing Stick pose
8. Dandayamana Bibhaktapada Paschimotthanasa - Standing Separate Leg Stretching Pose
9. Trikonasana - Triangle Pose
10. Dandayamana Bibhaktapada Janushirasana - Standing
Separate Leg Head to Knee Pose
11. Tadasana - Tree Pose
12. Padangustasana - Toe Stand
13. Savasana - Corpse Pose
14. Pavana Muktasana - Wind Removing Pose
15. Sit-up
16. Bhujangasana - Cobra Pose
17. Salabhasana - Locust Pose
18. Poorna Salabhasana - Full Locust Pose
19. Dhanurasana - Bow Pose
20. Supta Vajrasna - Fixed Firm Pose
21. Ardha Kurmasana - Half-Tortoise Pose
22. Ustrasana - Camel Pose
23. Sasangasana - Rabbit Pose
24. Janushiransa with Paschimotthanasana - Head to Knee with Stretchig Pose
25. Ardha Matsyendrasana - Spine Twisting Pose
26. Kapalbhati Breathing - Breath of Fire

No comments: