Monday, February 11, 2008

Xbox 360 Red Ring Of Death

When I bought the my XBOX 360 I didn't do my homework. So when I turned on my 360 last Saturday February 9th 2008 it locked up while I was playing my game. After restarting it several times the system refused to even start to the loading screen and show the 3 Flashing Red Rings. (photo below)



So I took it to the shop to see if I have any warranty, alas bad news, warranty ended quite some time back. But not to worry they usually replace the motherboard for RM450-500 depending on the board. To make things worst, there was a shortage of Motherboards for the 360!. So I decided to go home and try some of the DIY fixes I found on the internet from Youtube and several other forums.

Well what do you know the DIY fix actually works, but I don't know how long it will last before the problem would arise again. In addition to that DIY fix, I'm going to make additional external fans for the unit so it'll blow and suck more air to keep it cool.

What caused the problem in the first place is a KNOWN ISSUE from Microsoft. Apparently the unit generates alot of heat and the design of the 360 can't stand the heat, so some part of the CPU and GPU solders would actually break or melt away. I'm not sure what I have, it might not be as serious so I think better cooling for the unit would help it extend it's life.

I'll update more on my DIY Fan Cooling for the 360.

No comments: