Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Car Review : VW Polo GTi



A GTi Polo? Yup you read right! I was never very fond of the Polo, it looked very plain and when I checked out the specs, nothing caught my attention. But when they added the GTi badge to the car it sparked some interest. When I saw the GTi version, it does look a little more sporty, take note that the version we have in Malaysia is a 4-door version. When the car started up I noticed it has a sports muffler! Something that doesn't usually come standard on these kinda cars, very nice touch VW.

I got in the back and took a look around, space isn't bad, lots of leg room and very clean dashboard with big buttons. Nothing new there, after all it's a German car. The other thing I noticed was the 5-speed Manual, yes, Manual gearbox! I never expected that to be in a car like this with this kind of technology. I picked up the Brochure and started to go through the specs. Powered by a 1.8 Turbo engine with a 5-speed Manual gearbox and does 0-100km/h in 8.2 seconds, so I thought to myself that there isn't anything special about that.

My test driver took me for a spin on and boy was I surprised! The car jumped forward once the pedal was on the metal, almost instantaneous. I really felt good and addictive! You'd never have expected this from a small car of this size. What caught my attention next was the suspension system, the ride felt excellent over small pot holes and speed bumps, you'd never notice it until you hear a slight softly muted "thump" of the tire over the hole or bump. Like the EOS it also took corners well with little body roll.

Now this is a car I wouldn't mind owning.


No comments: